Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Closet Reader

I'm a math teacher who loves to read. Uh huh. Blogs, articles, buzz feeds, self help books, novels, trilogies, series, everything. If I'm being quite translucent, it's probably one of the reasons why I love to write in this little space. 

Growing up, I was an early riser. The red head and I shared a wonderful little room with our Minnie Mouse comforters, and I would wake up around 6:30 or 7..... that's really just an estimate, I don't actually remember what time I would wake up. All I know is that I couldn't go out of the room because my parents were not up yet. So, I did the only logical thing.... I read in the closet. I am a closet reader. We had a little bookshelf in the closet and I would turn on the light, shut the door, and read. 

Making its rounds in the twitter-verse is a top 10 books challenge... kinda like man crush Monday, but less habitual, and more of a one time thing. Pretty simple, tweet out your top 10 favorite books and their authors. So, when an AVID (basically English) teacher tagged me, I thought cool. Then, I procrastinated for two weeks because it was so horribly difficult to pick only 10 books. 

There's books that I just love, books that changed my perspective, books that influenced my teaching career, books that influenced my walk with Christ, books that helped me get through awkward stages, books that I wish would have never ended, books that helped me through break ups, books that took me to fantasy lands, and a whole lot of books that I stayed up way too late reading. 

How do you narrow it down? I don't think you do. I think this is an ever evolving list; as long as you keep reading, this list will keep changing. 

So, here's my top 10 for where I am in my life today. (in no specific order, because I just can't)

Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
And Still We Rise - Miles Corwin
Bittersweet - Shauna Niequist
Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
A Higher Calling - Adam Makos
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen 

  
 

Can you name your top 10? Happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment