Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Verse of 2017

It's that time... where I recap why I do choose a verse as a resolution over an actual New Year's Resolution. I began this tradition back in 2009. I, honestly, cannot remember if someone suggested I do this, or if this was just an idea I came up with on my own. I've never been good at making New Year's Resolutions... and I've definitely never been good at keeping up with them. So picking one verse and letting that be my theme verse throughout the entire year, seemed like a good way to continually be memorizing verses, and to have a constant reminder of what I need to live by. 
Looking back at the verses from the past, I can clearly see that in the beginning I was looking for verses to support me. I was finishing college and transitioning to the real world. The verses I picked reflect this time period in my life. 

But then, there is an obvious shift to verses that are about living. 

2009 – Psalm 46:1 - "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."
2010 – Joshua 1:9 - "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
2011 – Hebrews 11:1 - "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see."
2012 – John 16:33 - “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
2013 – Hebrews 6:19 - "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."
2014 – Psalm 71:3 - “Be to me a rock of habitation to which I may continually come; You have given commandments to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.”
2015 - 2 Timothy 1:9 - He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace."
2016 - Esther 4:14 - "Perhaps this is the moment for which you have been created." 

And now we're here at 2017. And this year I had a verse picked out since about August.... until the last weekend of November when our preacher preached on 1 John. That small, tiny book wayyy to the back of the Bible. And when he read this verse, I looked at Trav... and I knew! If I could sum up my life motto into one sentence, this would be it. 

Trav and I talk all the time about the way we want to love people. That's the way we feel we show God's love the best. Without further ado, 2017.

2017 - 1 John 4:7 - "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God."


No comments:

Post a Comment