Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Little Drummer Boy

The little drummer boy is a Christmas Classic. It's also a highlight for church Christmas pageants, singing trees, or musicals. It's a fun song... One that can incorporate drums into church music without the old people causing too much uproar. One that the crowd typically remembers years down the road. I know when I was involved, we did an awesome version of the song that started with one drummer and ended with an entire drumline!! And at the end when they hoisted their drumsticks up into the air, the audience erupted into applause. 

Take the church down the street PrestonWORLD... Prestonwood. Here's their performance this year: 



(Here's a link to Prestonwood's video of the full song)  #betterquality

Amazing. I know the long, arduous hours that are put into a show and I fully appreciate their commitment to getting thousands to come watch their phenomenal production. 

However, I cannot help but wonder, is the real meaning of the song lost with these over the top, flashy, eye-catching performances? 

To be honest, the Bible says nothing of flying drummer boys or entire drumlines. 

But for the first time, I heard a line that really caught my attention. 

"I played my best for him." 

It doesn't say he played an errorless piece of music equivalent to the Mozart Symphony No. 40 in G minor. He played his best.

He doesn't ask for perfection. He asks for our best

If I slip into coaching mode, I ask my athletes for their best. And I know what I mean. I want 100%. I want everything they have. I don't want half of their effort. I want all of their effort. I want them to show me they care enough to give it their all. 

It's the story I've heard a hundred times, but a hundred and first does not hurt. Christ doesn't ask for us to live without mistakes, but he does want the very best we can give him. 

So whatever that drum may be in your life, play on


Psalm 98:4-6
(4)Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth,
burst into jubilant song with music;
(5)make music to the Lord with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,
(6)with trumpets and the blast of the ram’s horn—
shout for joy before the Lord, the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment