Thursday, December 19, 2013

Black Eyed Pea Casserole

So, I realized the purpose of waiting so long to post about my black eyed pea casserole was I have just been waiting for it to be close to New Years! That’s the whole reason! I promise I didn’t forget about it at all! So here it is! It is marvelous and you should definitely have it for New Year’s. It has Duck Dude’s approval as well.

1.5 cups dried black eyed peas (I cheated because I needed something quick. I used can)
1 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1.5 cups rice (I used whole grain rice)
3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 10 oz can of Rotel
3 cups of fresh spinach, cut into strips
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup diced jalapenos

This is the recipe I used when I discovered about cooking rice in chicken broth. I’m still amazed. Cook the onions in little olive oil. Then add the garlic and rice in chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook the rice according to the package.



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Scrape the rice into a large bowl. Add peas, rotel, jalapenos, spinach, and 1 cup of cheese. (The spinach looks like it's over taking everything, but just remember it cooks down) Mix together, then pour into casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Spread remaining cheese across the top, then bake another 10 minutes.




I threw out some sour cream and guacamole to dollop on top. It was yum times twenty-seven. 




No comments:

Post a Comment