Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Room 703

In room 703, I came in as a 21 year old graduate of Baylor University. My only care was teaching math. It was my primary focus in life. I wanted to be the very best I could be.

In room 703, I have taught 611 students. I have taught 16 7th grade GT classes,  2 7th grade Pre AP classes, 6 7th grade classes, 1 7th grade remedial class and 1 8th grade class.

In room 703, I have cried. The first time was when I found out my GT students were taking the 8th grade test 3 weeks before the testing date, and I didn’t know what I was going to do. Since then, I’ve cried for students, about students, and out of pure frustration!

In room 703, I have changed the arrangement of my desks every year. I have added Rangers playoff signs from 2010 and 2011. I have added a Baylor football poster from 2014 and I have added a hand that says “Love, Rusty”. I’ve changed my rules to only two expectations, and created a mindset board to instill a growth mindset in my students.

In room 703, they have called me Coach for 5 years. I’ve talked volleyball, basketball, World Cup, softball, and a whole lot of football. I’ve coached 5 A volleyball teams, 5 B basketball teams, and 5 C basketball teams. My sprint teams, open sprints, and jumpers currently hold 6 records at the school. We roughly have 115 girls in 7th grade athletics each year, and 70 in 8th grade athletics. That’s a lot of girls’ lives that I pray I have made an impact on at some point.

In room 703, my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He went through surgeries, radiation, and I also received a phone call saying he was cured. I had a broken nose in 703… and a broken finger.. and this year a broken toe.

I learned life lessons in 703… like not everyone is a team player, people make dumb decisions, and to stand up for myself and my beliefs.

In room 703, I dated many boys… most were only referenced to by nicknames, and most lasted a solid 3 weeks. Until, this one came along, and I knew he was different.  In room 703, I fell in love. I lived for the passing periods so I could text him back, and I procrastinated with all of my grading to go on dates with him. I stayed up way past my 9 pm bed time to spend more time with him. And it all paid off in the end, because in room 703 I became engaged. Then, I planned a wedding…. My conference time became research time, and my inclusion teacher became my sound board for ideas. In room 703, my last name changed. I became a Mrs. instead of a Ms.

Room 703 will always be an instrumental part of my life.

But now, it’s time to make new memories in A314. 

No comments:

Post a Comment