Monday, May 23, 2016

Grandran

Today, we are in Gladewater, Texas celebrating the life of Travis' Grandran. 

I am sincerely happy that Grandran was able to be at our wedding a year ago. 


Grandran and Grandmother even got out and cut a rug on the dance floor!!


I can tell you that this man had a personality that was infectious! We all sat at dinner on Saturday night and they were all going through his sayings:
"What are you up to?" 
"About 5"7..."
Although we did debate if that number decreased as he got older. :)

"What's one of these? (as he did something with his hand)..... "An upside down one of these!" (he'd flip his hand the other way and do the same thing! Ha! 

He is a World War II veteran who served our country in the US Navy. He has told Travis stories of sitting on the back of the ship and shooting fly fish with pistols. Travis' dad was able to take Grandran on the Honor Flight in 2012. If you aren't familiar with Honor Flight, they take World War II veterans to Washington DC so they can visit and reflect at the memorials. It was a very special time for both of them. 

They will be folding the flag and presenting it to Grandmother. It is such an honorable moment, and I know it will mean the world to Grandmother. 

I'm looking forward to having a conversation with Grandmother about the hymn "Beulah Land." Travis' dad told me it was on their list of songs they wanted to sing. My family has been singing that song for as long as I can remember and we sang it at my grandfather's funeral. I sang it in my head all day yesterday. It comforts me and reminds me that this is not our home, and now, Grandran is in his eternal home. 

I'm kind of homesick for a country
To which I've never been before
No sad goodbyes will there be spoken
For time won't matter anymore

Beulah Land, I'm longing for you
And some day on thee I'll stand
There my home shall be eternal
Beulah Land - Sweet Beulah Land

No comments:

Post a Comment