Friday, April 29, 2016

Pony Up!

I’ve been keeping a secret.

Once you’re a newlywed every time you say something like that people automatically think you’re growing a human inside you. There is no human… or aliens.. inside of me.

However, I think it is just as big of a secret. It’s life changing for me.

On Tuesday, at 2 pm, I took a leap out of my comfort zone and interviewed for a position at my district’s STEM Academy. They called at 4:15 pm and offered me the job.

So, after 6 years in my little home away from home, room 703 is no longer going to be my home. I accepted the position.

So, the basic questions:

What is the STEM Academy?
STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Math. My lessons will be based off the “engineering design process” and integrated with other content areas. The students have to apply and be accepted into the Academy.

Do you have to move schools?
Yes! The STEM Academy is a school within a school, but the students are with the rest of the school for electives, fine arts, and athletics. The Academy is housed within a different middle school within my district. However, this school is closer to home and I do not even have to get on the highway!

What will you be teaching?
I will be teaching four Algebra classes and 2 6th grade accelerated classes (7th grade material). I am super excited about the algebra classes. I have always wanted to teach algebra for this reason alone… people say “since it’s a high school course, you cannot do the fun things you do in 8th grade”…. And I am about to prove all of those people wrong.

Will you still be coaching?
No. I will be giving up my coaching position. How do I feel about this? Coaching has never been my “end game,” if it were, I would not be giving it up. I have loved coaching and made lasting relationships, but I want to end up in C&I… not coaching. It also means my school day will end at 3:45 every. Single. Day. I could technically pick up my baby niece every day from daycare. I could be home before 5. I could work out, go to the grocery store, and still be home before 5…ish.

Is it a pay increase?
This question is funny to me.. because I am teacher. I work in education. “I got into education because of the money” – said no one ever. But, I get it.. and I don’t mind answering it either. Technically no, it is not a pay increase because I will be losing my coaching stipend. But it is a step in the right direction of where I want my career to go, and that I am extremely grateful for.


What are you most excited about?
The coolest opportunity this Academy gives me is TWO planning periods. Teachers who just read this need to pick up their jaws. How awesome is that? One planning period is for me and the other is to plan integrated lessons with the other content teachers. It’s like they’re backing up what they’re preaching, and I cannot wait to get started.

I have loved my Bronco family… but now, it’s time to Pony up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment