Monday, April 18, 2016

The Flu Diaries

Want to see a grown woman reduced to nothing, incapacitated to the extreme? Get the flu. 

On Tuesday of last week I woke up after a long night of not sleeping. My chest was tight and I used my inhaler first off in the morning. (First sign I'm not feeling well.... I use my inhaler.. Duck Dude normally has to bribe me.. it makes me shaky.. so I try not to use it) I headed off to school because I had an important meeting at 9 am. By noon, my head was pounding and my sinus' were running marathons. I still thought, cool. allergies. I chalked it all up to not sleeping well and scratched dinner plans with my mom to go home and go to bed. 

Cue 3 am. I wake up, quite literally, in a pool of my own sweat. I have never felt anything like it... I wiped my arm and flung the sweat off of me. I got up to go get some ice water and by the time I was coming back up the stairs, my teeth were chattering because I was so cold. I put sweatpants on and climbed back under the covers. 4 am. Same thing, I fling the covers back because I am so sweaty I think I must have turned the heat on in the house. This is when I knew something was wrong. I put in for a sub and repeated this process until 6 am. 


I'm not sure who I texted first.. Duck Dude or my mom... but my text was something of "I think I'm dying." My back felt like I had lifted 300 pounds and hurt so badly I couldn't roll over without wincing. My head continued to pound and my chest was still tight. I texted my sister in law around noon and finally said out loud, "I think I have the flu." 

One nose swab later and it was confirmed. The flu. 

Thus began my days of laying in bed, coughing, and feeling miserable. My professional caretaker, Koal, was always by my side while my humans were working. When Duck Dude was out of town, my mom was with me. And with no one was with me, chances are I was just fine with that because I didn't want to be social anyway. 


I finally ate real food on Saturday and I finally made it out of bed on Sunday. So, I am slowly but surely making it out of my flu hole. I hope to never have a "flu diaries" ever again. 

And next year, I think I will get my flu shot. 

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry to hear that you have the flu. The flu makes you feel like you are on your death bed. I use to get the flu every year and I was miserable. I definitely suggest getting a flu shot every year! You need to get plenty of rest and stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete