Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Hawk

Yesterday I was leaving the gym. No, really. And I saw the strangest sight. These 5 little mockingbirds hanging around the tree that I was parked directly in front of. They were all squawking loudly and I couldn't help but think about Patricia who really hates birds. When I got to my car I pressed the button to unlock it which made the "beep" noise. At this exact moment, I saw this huge hawk fly out of the tree right in front of me. It was at least 8 times bigger than the little mockingbirds. However, within a matter of a second, the 5 mockingbirds were dive bombing the hawk. 

At this point you are probably thinking, Mollie, is this whole blog really gonna be about birds? It's not. Bear with me. You see, I've taken where this blog is going several different ways. I can't seem to pick a way I want to go, so you're getting all of my thoughts today. It's my blog. I can do that. 

There's something our pastor said a couple weeks ago that has intrigued me ever since. "The Christian walk is a marathon... Not a sprint." This is a metaphor that I've never considered, but is 100% accurate. There are so many tiny little mockingbirds that try and bring us down, daily, in our walks. It might be past friendships that weren't good for you, past choices that haunt you, unanswered questions that concern you, future choices over finances, parents, or jobs. The good news is it's a marathon... all you have to do is keep enduring.

Why I blog. I've said it before.. And I will most likely keep saying it. I blog for me. A record for myself. It's my recipe book, my memory lane, and my detail keeper. Please don't misunderstand me.. I am so grateful to have so many of you that tag along. I am astounded when I meet random people who tell me they love my blog. I think you're all crazy for reading about my fairly average life. For keeping up with growing pains. For listening to my rants. For praying for 300 school children. And for loving me no matter what I put on here. 

There's a whole bunch of personal information on this little space that I call my musings. There's a whole lot of opinions that you might disagree with, stories that you might think are ridiculous, grammar mistakes that might drive you nuts, recipes you think are terrible, DIY projects that you would never, ever try, rants that you think are unnecessary, or religious beliefs that might not coincide with yours. When you place details of your life out in the open for anyone and everyone to read, there is a whole lot of room for judgement. 

Two weeks ago my pastor didn't know that the Supreme Court was going to rule 5-4 in the favor of gay marriage. There's a whole lot of room for judgement there too. Opinions you might disagree with, stories you might think are ridiculous, rants that you think are unnecessary, or religious beliefs that do not coincide with yours. 

Thinking back to the hawk and mockingbirds... The hawk didn't screech at the mockingbirds that were dive bombing it. The hawk didn't do anything but keep flying.. enduring and looking for safety in another tree. 

It's not my job, as a Christian, to screech at people. It's my job to love people, and that's exactly what I intend to do. 

As for my tree? ..... That's where the hawk and I are different. I don't have to fly to another tree. I've got one tree and I know who He is.
 
John 15:5 - "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment