Wednesday, December 19, 2012

In light of recent events


In light of recent events.

Blunt post warning. As a teacher, I’m tired of this phrase already. Everyone wants to know my opinion of the recent events. What am I supposed to say? I don’t even know where to begin. My gut reaction, my first tweet as I was glued to the tv on Friday sums it up: I may not be a parent, but I have 200 kids that I consider mine.

My facebook post reveals the only thing I take comfort in during these types of devastation. “They are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.” I was later reminded of the verse in Away in a Manger that states, “Bless all the dear children in thy tender care, and fit us for Heaven to live with thee there.”

Is my school safe? Absolutely not. Can anyone come in through any door they choose at any time of the day? Yup. Do I have to go outside in the hall in order to lock my door to my classroom? Sure do. Do I have windows in my room that could easily be broken if someone really wanted in? Absolutely. I don’t care to keep reliving what would be the utterly worst nightmare of my life.

And surely do not use “the recent events” to tell me how to do my job parent from another school (sidenote: this is really where this post stems from). I do not need to be told that you think my basketball girls played too aggressively and we should teach them how to play with kindness and fairness, especially due to recent events. You, maam, do not get to tell me that. (second sidenote: I did not reply to the email, I turned it over to the athletic coordinator… my email would have possibly gotten me fired been very mean).

I’ll tell you what would be really nice. Just thank a teacher. Just tell us thanks, for no reason.. just because you want to say thanks. I, and I think every teacher I know, would appreciate it.

I pray to God that I never am in a situation like what happened on Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment