Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cooking Adventures for Thanksgiving

This year we had Thanksgiving out at my dad's new house. We were all bringing something, so I had the pressure  privilege of deciding what I wanted to bring. I decided on three things. I was going to make pilgrim hat cookies, pumpkin pie dip (with apples and graham crackers), and green bean casserole. Whew, so I designated Wednesday as my cooking day; that way if anything went wrong, I could change it or re-do it again before Thursday! :) I do have to say that Hannah made the wonderful grocery store trip with me. If I can't find what I'm looking for in 1 minute of looking on the aisle.. I start getting stressed out. Taking the trip with your sister makes you feel a lot better and when we stand awkwardly stand by the spice aisle for 5 minutes looking for pumpkin pie spice.. it's much more fun to just stand there and laugh and then go try and find the "sage guy" later around the store. 


And Granny, now you can kind of see how I did the pilgrim hat cookies! They were so easy! Everyone else, I hope you enjoy the pictures!

All my ingredients for the day!!

The pumpkin pie dip consists of pumpkin, brown sugar, a few spices, greek yogurt, and cool whip! Just mix it all together and stick it in the fridge. I found it definitely tasted better after a few hours in the fridge for everything to kind of settle in together. The end result is a gorgeous color that tastes magnificent with apples!!


Use melted chocolate chips to cover your marshmallows and place them on your upside down cookies.  Then place them in the fridge so the chocolate can set. 

Then all you have to do is use yellow decorator icing to pipe a rectangle and a circle around the marshmallows.  Ta-duhh!
  
Green Bean Casserole was just simple... although I definitely  need to double the recipe  for next year/ I'm actually going to make the recipe that we made Friday with my mom. It was amazing. A little more work, but definitely worth it!




Once I was finished cooking all day I really had no energy to cook anything for dinner. So I did the most simple recipe ever. I cut some grape tomatoes in half and sprinkled some olive oil over them. Then I put some onions around them with some chopped garlic and roasted them in the oven for 20 minutes. With 5 minutes left I sprinkled some parmesean cheese over them (that's the black you see in the picture.. try not to get cheese on the edges!!). I paired a few celery sticks with it and some ritz crackers and I had a great meal! 


Post Thanksgiving Cooking: I know this post doesn't exactly include this...but this was way too good to not write about. I was really not sure how it was going to turn out so I didn't take a picture until it was made. This is Spinach Stracciatella Soup with Orzo. A little chicken broth, eggs, I added mushrooms instead of parsley, orzo, and spinach. It's so good!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment