Friday, July 6, 2012

NYC and USA

I know I said I would post about NYC... but there is no way I could possibly tell you everything we did in the short time span of 3 days! It was an incredible trip with such a fun group of people! We laughed so much I literally think my abs got a work out every day. I am going to share with you my favorite aspect of the entire trip, but first a little background. My first time to New York was June of 2002, just 9 months after the September 11th attacks. We went to ground zero and the clean up process was still in full swing; to me, it just looked like a whole lot of rubble. It was a very emotional moment as we sang "This is the Song for the Heroes" and the "Star Spangled Banner" just as a group. We, instantaneously, had a crowd and I just remember feeling so proud to be able to stand there and sing for my country. (sidenote: we did go to ground zero when I went to NY in 2006, but at that point it was just a big hole) Flash-forward to this trip in 2012. I was so excited to be able to see the work they've done on the memorial. The building looks awesome so far, especially at night. This brings me to my favorite aspect of our trip. We took a boat out to William's Wall, which is a stationary barge floating in the Hudson. We got out there around 3 pm and stayed until 9 pm. We saw the city in the light, at dusk, and when it was lit up at night. It was phenomenal and something I will never forget.

The dusk picture is taken of the New Jersey side of the Hudson.



The Group!! 
Keeping with this patriotic theme... last Sunday Caroline and I went to the World League Volleyball Semi-Finals! They happened to be at the Dallas Convention Center and my dad happened to be filming it! This is the team that will be representing the USA at the London Olympics, and it looked like it! These guys are 6"10 hitting on a 8 foot volleyball net. It is insane what they are able to block, dig, and hit. I am not gonna lie... I would be terrified! ha! It was so much fun and Caroline and I loved every second of it (we even caught a shirt!!). It was probably the best volleyball I will ever see in my life. It's a good thing the finals are in Belgium, because if they were anywhere in the US... Caroline and I would be taking a road trip!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment