Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blessed with Reminders!

This week I have been blessed with several reminders in my life.

On Sunday after church, Hannah, Morgan Wood, and I went to go meet my dad for lunch. Our moms were busy with VBS stuff and Caroline had a choir practice. We just knew that was an excellent time to call upon my dad and have him treat us to lunch. We had a fantastic time and afterwards the girls took a trip to Tuesday Morning to return something for my mom. We had decided as we were leaving that my Dad would fill Hannah's tank up with gas sometime later before she left for Waco. After we went to Tuesday Morning, we were taking Morgan back to the church to pick up her car when the crazy-ness happened. In Carrollton, we have these weird blinking yellow arrows -- they have taken the place of no green arrow, but just the green light for turning left. In both cases you have are supposed to YIELD!!!! We were driving straight and had a green light, when a guy decided to turn left in front of us. There was no swerving that was going to help, we were going to hit him. It was the longest 2 seconds of my life and its been replaying in my head for the past 3 days. After the impact, we all checked on each other and made sure everyone was ok before reality set in. We had hit this guy going at least 35 mph straight on. Thankfully, besides some bruises and extreme soreness, we were doing ok. Hannah's car, however, is totaled. The reminder here was that God is always looking over you, even when you are least expecting it. 

The second lovely reminder I had this week was at a conference I attended. 
I listened to an amazing speaker who was really just reminding us of simple, common sense teaching strategies like: Be Nice!!!! I love the reminder and I wish some of older teachers would have been in attendance as well! :) The top three reminders I got from the session were 
1. Structure (kids do better with it!) 
2. Correct gently (even if it's the 20th time) 
3. Praise (verbally and non-verbally!)
Even being a first year teacher, there are still things I can learn and be reminded of and I feel blessed to have these reminders in my life. 

Everyone have a wonderful rest of the week and watch out for people turning left!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment