Sunday, January 30, 2011

7th Grade Heartbreak

This title implies that my students go through a lot of young love and young heartbreak; don't get me wrong that is definitely true, but this post is about a different kind of heartbreak. 

On Friday night I worked the 7th grade basketball tournament. It was a wonderful display of 7th grade talent! ha The games are very amusing and I really love watching them! I wasn't located in the gym that our girls played in, but my gym finished a game earlier than the first gym. So even though I was finished for the night, I stayed to watch the 9 pm that our Heritage girls were playing. They played a team called Meadowbrook. An all minority (mainly African-American) school from Fort Worth where you could say they were most likely from a poorer part of town. This team also included a 5"11 7th grader!!! Heritage already has zero height to our team, but were a very quick and talented team made up of mostly soccer players. We could tell from the beginning it was going to be a good game. At halftime we were up by one point 15-14, and we had definitely ruffled Meadowbrook's feathers. Their girls were screaming at each other and their coach was just letting them. The second half was just as exciting. We were down 6 points in the 3rd quarter, but by the end of the 3rd we were up by 2 points. As time was winding down we were still ahead by one point. Meadowbrook had the ball and put up a shot. The shot didn't go in and there was a scramble on the floor; time expired and we all started cheering, until the refs got together to talk. They decided to call a foul on us and Meadowbrook got to shoot two free throws with everyone standing behind the line. I think they had only made one free throw all night, but the girl made the first one to tie up the game. Thank goodness she missed the second one and we were headed to overtime!! All of this to say Heritage ended up losing by 1 point in overtime. Seconds after the final buzzer went off the tears started flowing. Our girls were absolutely heartbroken and it was heartbreaking for me to watch. I stayed until they came out of the locker room so I could talk to some of them. I told them how amazing the game was and I was SO incredibly proud of them!! I have three of the girls in 5th period, so tomorrow I'm gonna make a huge deal about it and let everyone know how awesome it was!! I ended up not leaving the school until 10:30, which made my Friday a 13 1/2 hour day, but it was definitely worth it!

Also on Friday, I was grading the warm-ups from the week and found a lovely poem/rap on the back of one of them. I saw the girl in the hallway later that day and told her on Monday I was gonna have someone throw down a beat and she had to do it for the class!! Since then I've gotten the idea to videotape it and show it on the first day of school next year!!! ha so stay tuned for the video, but for now I'll leave you with the sick lyrics:
I'm sittin in math
learnin my fractions
with Briana in here
it's a big distraction

She's makin weird noises
and sayin weird things
 She's drivin me crazy
  with the weird songs she sings

Tryin to listen to my teacher up there,
but when she asks me a question
I'm like, "who what where?"

I know I'm really smart
I have an 85
I'm in love with math,
we're like Bonnie and Clyde!

No comments:

Post a Comment