Sunday, April 17, 2011

7 School Days, One Week until TAKS


"You should never teach to the test." This is all you hear throughout college, but reality is, everyone does. This year is even a little more important because of the changeover with TAKS and STAAR. The scores we get this year will last for a couple years due to implementing the new test. And as much as I'm trying not to freak out, I will be celebrating when that day is over. The dot race is coming along very well and the students are so into it, I can barely keep up with them. I am spending allllll of my time grading their objectives. I have students that have already completed 150 problems in one week! Here is what the board looks like now (as you can tell, most students are on their 3rd check point, anyone dot who is ahead of the group is working ahead of the pace):
I have "Super Six" posters crammed everywhere in my room!!

This weekend was an awesome, jam-packed weekend. It is always nice to have things take your mind off school for a little bit. Especially last weekend with being in San Antonio with students, I was SO ready for a couple days off. Friday night I had the awesome opportunity to try my hand at painting. If anyone knows anything about my family, you know that Caroline is the artist. I am notoriously known for being terrible at drawing anything, even stick figures; but, my good friend Mindi wanted to go and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. We painted a beautiful peacock, and while mine looks a little more like a duck with abstract colors around it, I am proudly hanging it in my room!! 
Ta-duhhh!!!
Then on Saturday it was the Lindstrom family's last big prom!! Last high school dance my parents will ever have to go through. Last awkward pinning the boutonniere pictures. Last official prom poses. Caroline probably was the most gorgeous person on the earth that night, although I might be a little biased. She was in "chill mode" all day and then we got her ready at the house. It was so nice not to have to go anywhere for hair or make-up! Between older sisters and Hannah's friend that was home with her, we accomplished it all. I felt like a very proud older sister and was happy to be a part of everything!
Lil Bit and me

So pretty!

Lil Bit and her date, Kyle
So after all that exciting-ness, I also got the privilege to accompany Hannah (and her friend Kim from Baylor) to the Warrior Dash today! If you do not know about Warrior Dash, it's this crazy 3 mile race that includes: swimming through ponds, climbing over cargo nets, jumping over fire, and swimming through a mud pit with barb wire. There are other "obstacles" too, I just can't remember them all. Their race time started at 3:30. We parked at the Texas Motor Speedway and rode a shuttle to the park. They got checked in, put their numbers on, and got in line. People dress in costumes and its really funny just to watch everyone that is there. After they started and we (Kristen, my dad, and me) cheered them on, we went to the mud pit/finish line to wait for them. The time went by pretty fast as we watched people belly flop/dive/front flip into the mud pit.... We waited for their bright blue and screamed insanely loud when we saw them! They did great and go incredibly dirty. Kristen and I decided that we're going to do it next year; we just need to start training now yesterday. If you want to see pictures go to Hannah's facebook; my dad got some good ones!

So overall I spent most of my weekend being a supportive sister, but it was awesome and I had a fantastic time at everything! Time to re-focus on my 125 other little darlings and support them for another school week!

No comments:

Post a Comment