Monday, April 4, 2011

This is why, this is why, this is why I teach...

I couldn't help but sing the "this is why I'm hot" song when I was typing my title.. So a couple more "this is why-s" got added. :) Hope that made some sense.

Anyway, I have figured out that there are some days throughout the school year where at the end of the day you literally want to ring someone's neck - nothing went right, the lesson was boring, and the kids were annoying. Then you have the exact opposite days, where one simple statement can remind you why you put up with the other 186 days of the year. Last week I got an email from a parent that did exactly this. One of my students, who has struggled all year, got a 96 on their last test. I put her in the optional TAKS tutoring hoping it would help her gain some strength in some areas. This last test really made me feel like my decision was the right one, so I emailed their parents to let them know how proud I was of the test score! The parents emailed me back with such encouraging words that I couldn't help but smile. 
"Let's keep on pushing her to her potential! She probably needs more music videos to inspire her.... your video was awesome and I am so thrilled that there are a few select teachers that will do amazing things to connect with the students. You make a HUGE impact and I appreciate you! More importantly, [the student] is very inspired by you!"
 All I need is a simple reminder that these kids look up to me and if I can make one difference in one student, then my year is successful. 

1 comment:

  1. The kids human bar graphs look great Mollie!!! I've said it before and I will say it again...those kids are blessed beyond their imagination to have you as a teacher. Keep pushing through the last nine weeks! I love you and I am SO proud of all the hard work you have done this year!!!

    ReplyDelete