Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dad Update


We got an update on my dad and it's not the news that we were really wanting. His most recent PET scan revealed that his cancer is not only back, but has spread to other parts of his body. While the doctors say the tumors are all small, they are there. He is now considered to have Stage 4 melanoma. 

As far as treatment goes, we had been waiting to get a result from a certain test. This test will tell us if it's one of the 3 main types of melanoma or if it's another kind. We've gotten the test back and the route we've chosen to go is to try this new drug that was just recently approved by the FDA. He will go in once every 3 weeks to get an iv for 2 hours, starting hopefully tomorrow. The drug is, in short, supposed to help his immune system fight the cancer. However, it is a process and so it will take 3-4 months for it all to build up and figure out if its working or not. (That part makes me a little nervous if I'm being honest) The side effects are relatively minimal; maybe some nausea and diarrhea (sorry if that's tmi), but no hair loss! Yay! And they've said he should still be able to work, which is excellent when you're a freelancer! :) 

He is going to go get a second opinion at MD Anderson sometime within the next 2 weeks. All his reports have already been faxed there. We are already assuming they will say the same thing, but I feel reassured knowing he's going down there!

So basically all I'm asking for right now is prayer. Right now I'm praying that my dad finds comfort in it all and that the upcoming treatment goes smoothly. I'm praying that the doctors make the best decisions possible and we keep an aggressive plan moving along.  I'm praying that no one's faith will waiver just because we're facing a trial. 

I know we serve an almighty healer. 

Dad at my volleyball game 2 weeks ago!

2 comments:

  1. Molly - this is hard stuff. You are your family are in my prayers. God promises to always be with us - I pray that you all remember and know this during the months ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and your family Mollie. James 1:2-3

    ReplyDelete